Editor: Mario Rabey

17 de julio de 2010

Woodie Guthrie, This land is your land


THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND 
words and music by Woody Guthrie



This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

When the sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting
This land was made for you and me.

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me.
Sign was painted, said private property.
But on the back side it didn't say nothing.
This land was made for you and me.

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And that sign said "no tresspassing"
But on the other side it didn't say nothin!
That side was made for you and me!

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?




1 comentario:

Eddie Abramovich dijo...

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
La canción original contenía una estrofa más, que otros intérpretes omitían, y que incluso el propio Woody eliminó después, tal vez por las presiones del American Establishment. Se refería al cartel de "no pasar", y en otras versiones al de "propiedad privada".

"Pero del otro lado del cartel no dice nada.
Ese lado fue hecho para mí y para tí"


As I went walking, I saw a sign there;
And on the sign there, It said "no trespassing." [En otra versión de la canción, "Private Property"]
But on the other side: it didn't say nothing!
That side was made for you and me.